[kictanet] A good piece by Dr. Bitange Ndemo

Adam Nelson adam at varud.com
Mon Nov 18 22:03:08 EAT 2013

The first sentence does not lead to the second and third:

"We cannot have high unemployment, and at the same time import clothes from
Sri Lanka or mitumba, when we can grow cotton and make our clothes.  We
must defy economic explanations on what works and what does not work.  If
we deployed thousands of youth digitizing land records, we would reduce
caseloads in courts, become more efficient, and create more wealth to grow
our economy."

Kenya should go towards counter-cyclical employment of youth doing
productive infrastructure work: being teachers, building railroads,
digitizing land records, etc...

However, you can't forget Adam Smith who talked extensively of Comparative
Advantage (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparative_advantage).  Sri Lanka
(or really Bangladesh) has a far more economical solution for producing
cotton clothing than Kenya has.  This mostly has to do with the port of
Mombassa being a stranglehold and the fact that a 40M person economy
(Kenya) doesn't have the same economy of scale as a billion person economy
(a guess at the number of people a Bangladeshi factory can export to
easily).

Kenya is a small country and a small economy and if it wants to bring in
more money and reduce unemployment, the solution is around creating an
amazingly well-educated population and doing more knowledge work - not
producing more clothing.

--
Kili.io - OpenStack for Africa: kili.io
Musings: twitter.com/varud <https://twitter.com/varud>