[kictanet] Smart Infrastructure: TransformAfrica2013

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 14:33:32 EAT 2013

HI Adam,

On Tue, Nov 5, 2013 at 10:15 PM, Adam Nelson <adam at varud.com> wrote:
> To that point, AfriNIC is the last group with IPv4 addresses to give out in
> the world, yet getting them from local ISPs is extremely difficult.

To be precise, AFRINIC will be the last RIR that will have IPs
available in the future, currently, all of the RIRs still have IPs to
distribute, but 2 of them are in their rationing phase because they
have less than a /8.

> However, I don't think this is an issue of providers being intentionally
> obstructionist but rather that they don't understand their responsibilities
> to redistribute IPs assigned to them by the regional network information
> centers.

Agreed.

> Another problem is bureaucratic.  Getting sufficient paperwork to form a
> Kenyan corporation in order to get IPs directly from AfriNIC is very
> difficult.

If you have a Kenya corporation already, you should have all the
paperwork you need already.

> Setting up a US Corporation costs about $300 (or less if you do it in a more
> simplistic way) and takes about 3 days and can be done entirely online.
> Apparently setting up a Rwandan corporation is even easier. Setting up a
> Kenyan corporation takes about 2-6 weeks and costs about $800 and if you're
> founding a subsidiary/branch, requires you to follow regulations that don't
> even make sense...

point taken.

--
Cheers,