[kictanet] The Battle for Power on the Internet

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Mon Nov 4 03:44:24 EAT 2013

Grace

Thanks for sharing. Very illuminating article. I particularly like the analogy comparing the current Internet Ecosystem with Feudal Europe and a dash of Robin Hood! Very apt in my opinion.

If the US and the UK had looked into a Chrystal Ball and saw what they had spawned in the span of a decade by 'democratizing' the Internet I doubt they would have been so 'generous'.

How do we strike a balance? From Cybercrime, Steroid induced eCommere, Open Data, Freedom of Speech, anonymity online, Government Surveillance etc? I guess these are questions that will occupy us in the foreseeable future. I suspect that the people/Governments who do that will be the ultimate winners.

Kenya is ranked among the most free nations online. Will we see this threatened as the new media laws have threatened freedom of the media? I guess it is up to us to keep Government attempts to erode freedoms in check as we balance the needs of 'National Security' and personal freedoms. After all doesn't the Government serve at our pleasure? The old adage that  we deserve the government we get is still largely true.

Ali Hussein

+254 0770 906375 / 0713 601113

"Kujikwaa si kuanguka, bali ni kwenda mbele" (To stumble is not to fall but a sign of going forward) - Swahili Proverb

Sent from my iPad