[kictanet] The Battle for Power on the Internet

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 3 13:27:52 EAT 2013

ListersThis is an interesting article and quite relevant in today's Internet debates. It is long though:).
"On the Internet, data is power. To the extent the powerless have access to it, they gain in power. To the extent that the already powerful have access to it, they further consolidate their power. As we look to reducing power imbalances, we have to look at data: data privacy for individuals, mandatory disclosure laws for corporations, and open government laws.
Today’s Internet is a fortuitous accident: a combination of an initial lack of commercial interests, government benign neglect, military requirements for survivability and resilience, and computer engineers building open systems that worked simply and easily.
We’re at the beginning of some critical debates about the future of the Internet: the proper role of law enforcement, the character of ubiquitous surveillance, the collection and retention of our entire life’s history, how automatic algorithms should judge us, government control over the Internet, cyberwar rules of engagement, national sovereignty on the Internet, limitations on the power of corporations over our data, the ramifications of information consumerism, and so on.
Data is the pollution problem of the information age."http://m.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/10/the-battle-for-power-on-the-internet/280824/