[kictanet] Safaricom's Super Profits

Edith Adera eadera at idrc.ca
Sat May 18 12:35:05 EAT 2013

Barrack and Ngethe,

I think otherwise.

The super-profits seem to arise NOT from "real productivity gains" or "reward from entrepreneurship" but from monopolizing access to the market (e.g. mpesa has tied people to Safaricom; consumer behavior of not shifting despite number portability or  poor quality of service as Barrack points out or high price of service or the availability of other money transfer options - etc etc etc). Here is where the "PECULIAR" behavior of Kenyans needs to be unearthed - We need to "peel off the mask" if I can borrow those words.

So this has created some ARTIFICIAL "exclusivity" of Safaricom products creating monopolistic or oligopolistic tendencies in the Kenyan telecom market.

So you cannot entirely blame Safaricom for this state of affairs, we need to get to the "kernel" of the issue to understanding why the Kenyan market seems to be so unique and consumer prices are just not coming down!! (maybe Kenya is not alone?)

I would really like to hear from Research ICT Africa who have been carrying out consistent research studies (for the last 10 years or more) comparatively examining over 22 telecom markets in Africa (including Kenya) under the title "Telecommunication Sector Performance Reviews" (http://www.researchictafrica.net/publications.php) - our own Prof. Waema, Muriuki Mureithi, Dr Adeya have been leading the Kenyan studies. I have also copied Christorph Stork and Alison Gilwald, why Kenya is different?

Would also be great to hear from Matano (CCK)?

Edith