[kictanet] Why are companies in Africa - From Telcos to Big Ticket Retailers - blind to the immense possibilities of BigData?

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Sat May 18 10:47:30 EAT 2013

That is good observation Ali. I think it boils down to exposure.

If necessity is the mother of invention, how much "big data" problems
do we have to necessitate this interesting science?

With IBM setting up a research lab at CUEA, which is open to
researchers, I don't think we have an excuse.

Some ripe areas of research on big data in the region are
1. Shopping trends,
2. Google, FB, and twitter usage trends,
3. Meteorology. Do we collect enough data?

--
Mwendwa Kivuva