[kictanet] Is an online sales tax good for eCommerce? What are the regulatory environments for eCommerce in Africa?

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Fri May 10 04:41:08 EAT 2013

Thanks guys. That's the crux of the matter really.

So victor, as a lawyer what's your take? When the law is silent? For example jumia.co.ke just opened for business in Kenya. Do they remit taxes including VAT to KRA? How are they structured? Are they a registered Kenyan Company? or are they domiciled in Mauritius for tax purposes?

ICT Researcher, usually innovation moves ahead of regulation (the case of Mpesa is a good example of that) but eventually regulation catches up. My opinion is that this should balance the computing interests of Government, free enterprise and consumer protection which in my opinion are not aligned most of the time.

As an African ICT Hub should we also be leading the way in finding/crafting the best regulator environment or should we let nature to take its course?

Ali Hussein
CEO | 3mice interactive media Ltd
Principal | Telemedia Africa Ltd

+254 713 601113

"The future belongs to him who knows how to wait." - Russian Proverb

Sent from my iPad