[kictanet] SPAM/OPT IN/OPT OUT MARKETING FROM THE TELCOS - DEATH BY SMS

Andrea Bohnstedt andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com
Thu May 2 14:48:15 EAT 2013

I have - slightly laboriously - managed to get myself unsubscribed from
Airtel's permanent (and sometimes badly spelled and edited) text messages
by contacting someone in the firm I knew. But since then, Safcom's
messaging has really picked up, so if there's anyone on this list has a
contact (or an automated mechanism) to opt out, I'd also like to know.

Plus any way of preventing the Safaricom dongle from automatically opening
their bundles website?

On 2 May 2013 14:38, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:

> Listers
>
> If you are like me you must by now be going out of your mind with useless
> SMS messages from the different players in the Telco sector.
>
> Is there some rule somewhere that CCK can dust off and ask them to stop
> sending these SMSs to 'abused' subscribers like myself.
>
> Or at the very least could you at least give us an option to Opt Out of
> this deluge of useless (in my opinion) SMSs?
>
> In my case I am specifically referring to Safaricom. I know that Safaricom
> has sophisticated Mass Customisation tools and if they use their Analytic
> Tools they would have known that for a Muslim (assuming in the majority of
> cases they would make deductions by name usage) a message that reads:-
>
> *'Watch Pastor Tim's Sunday Sermon...' *
>
> is particularly useless for a Muslim. If I were a Conspiracy Theorist
> (Luckily I am not. :-)) I may start making assumptions that Safaricom wants
> to convert me to a Christian.
>
> Dear Safaricom, please give me an option to opt out of your SMS deluge..
>
> Death by SMS :-)
>

> *Ali Hussein*
>
> *CEO, 3mice interactive media ltd*
>
> *Partner, Telemedia Africa Ltd
> *
>

> Tel: +254713601113
>
> Twitter: @AliHKassim
>
> Skype: abu-jomo
>
> LinkedIn: http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim<http://ke.linkedin.com/in/alihkassim>
>
> Blog: www.alyhussein.com
>

> Any information of a personal nature expressed in this email are purely
> mine and do not necessarily reflect the official positions of the
> organizations that I work with.

Andrea Bohnstedt <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/andreabohnstedt>
Publisher

www.ratio-magazine.com