[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Fwd: Kenya's PKI Destined for Failure?

Wambua, Christopher Wambua at cck.go.ke
Fri Mar 22 13:15:26 EAT 2013

Warigia,

In my view, the assessment of CCK's performance in respect to Universal
Access Fund is not fair.

I say this because the legal framework for the Universal Service Fund
(USF) is barely three years old (i.e. the Kenya Information and
Communications Act of 2009 and the Kenya Information and Communications
Universal Access and Service Regulations of 2010). It is these pieces of
legislation that charge CCK with the responsibility of managing and
administering the Fund. From the date USF's legal instruments were put
in place, the issue of doing nothing in the last six years does not
arise. You will also recall that the Universal Service Access Committee
(USAC), which is mandated to advise the CCK Board on the management of
the Fund, was appointed in December 2012 by the Minister for Information
and Communications.

As it awaited the legal framework to be in place, CCK undertook a number
of preparatory activities for the implementation of USF. These include:

*         Establishing a Statistical function within the Commission in
view of the need for up to date information on access and usage of ICT
to inform universal access planning. This is the Unit that prepares the
Quarterly Sector Statistics.

*         Carrying out a number of studies to guide the implementation
of the Fund, including the National ICT Survey (2010/2011) and the ICT
Access Gaps Study (2011).  The Survey was undertaken in conjunction with
the Kenya National Bureau of Statistics to provide baseline information
on the level of access and usage of ICTs at the household level in
Kenya. The Survey provides benchmark indicators  against which to
measure the penetration of ICT services particularly through the USF.
It provided a key input into the ICTs Access Gap study of 2011
undertaken by APOYO Consultoria. The ICT Access Gap Study identified
areas that lacked access to voice, postal and data services and provide
cost estimates for closing the gaps. It has provided the basis for
identifying the areas requiring USF interventions and prioritizing
allocation of funds. These reports are available on the CCK website.

*	Implementing a number of UA pilot projects whose experience will
be key in implementing national UA projects. The pilot projects include:
16 ICT Centers in Secondary Schools (2 in each province), 4 Community
Centers, 8 ICT Centers schools for PWDs (covering all secondary schools
for PwDs in Kenya), 10 e-Resource Centers within the Kenya National
Library Service outlets, E-health Project (in collaboration with the
Ministry of Health and Qualcomm Inc), Content Development that include
the Digitization of the Kenya Certificate of Secondary School (KCSE)
Form I and II curriculum by KIE and a Web Portal for Persons With
Disabilities (in partnership with the National Council for Persons with
Disabilities and United Disabled Persons of Kenya).  These projects have
been funded largely by the Commission.

*         From 2012 to date,  the Commission has been developing USF
program concepts, projects prioritization criteria and USF Strategy with
technical support from USAID's Global Broadband Innovation (GBI)
programme. Again with support from the USAID, the Commission in
conjunction with the Ministry of Information and Communications, Kenya
ICT Board, E-Government Directorate, Vision 2030 Secretariat and
National Communications Secretariat and other stakeholders are
developing a National Broadband Strategy (NBS). This strategy is
important in the realization of universal access to broadband services
in Kenya.

Starting from July 2013, the Fund shall be brought into operation. In
this regard, all licensees shall be expected to begin remitting their
statutory contribution to the Fund. On its part, the Commission has set
aside Kshs1,000,000,000 as seed money for the USF.

I hope this sheds more light on this matter.

Wambua