[kictanet] Role of the Media in Kenyan Elections

Sammy Buruchara buruchara at me.com
Mon Mar 11 13:12:00 EAT 2013

Andrea,

I am surprised that you do not know much about the practice of western media
in reporting for Africa in general and Kenya in particular. I would be
forthright that they do not report anything positive and lavish it much when
there is violence for then there have much for the media channels. This is
no secret

Unfortunately this time there was not much to report about. Yet there were
isolated incidents of media reporting inflammatory about certain events
during the election process. Judging by the headlines of some of the UK
media clearly they were more ambitious than the situation on the ground was.

The era of Kenyans relying on western media for sensational news is gone.
Our local media has matured and come to understand the importance of
fostering peace and growing our nation. We cannot expect this to be done by
people from outside. And the beginning of this process is providing balanced
sober and accurate information on the ground, without raising tensions on
very delicate issues or at delicate moments of our history.
In the last 2007, there pictures of violence everywhere. The realtime
reporting only managed to fan the violence even more in other locations
making it difficult for the security organs to contain.
It is this chain reactions to sensational reporting that we are against,
whilst respecting the liberty of Kenyans.

Regards
Sammy