[kictanet] Role of the Media in Kenyan Elections

Sammy Buruchara buruchara at me.com
Mon Mar 11 12:18:26 EAT 2013

Edith,

With due respect, I disagree with you.
Western governments always preach this kind of liberty that gives license to
all kinds of inflammatory information that agitate people yielding the 2007
type of reactions.

Whatever the views of people, we must not use the tools of mass
communications to incite people to wanton killings in the name of liberty.
Even the Western media in their home countries have a code of conduct that
includes delayed transmissions during major event such as Super Bowls or
even their own elections.

How was the media call for peace a tool of "oppression"?
I frankly hold a different view and believe that our media has done us
proud. Kenya has structures of government and communication and any
aggrieved party has avenues for redress without spread of malicious and
unconfirmed rumors that lead to violence and loss of life.

Sammy Buruchara