[kictanet] Is Kenyan Media Asleep?

Edith Adera eadera at idrc.ca
Thu Mar 7 14:14:56 EAT 2013

Listers,

I appreciate the points of view on the need to be careful on how citizens receive the live broadcasts - makes sense to manage the situation. I however think that because news travels fast, this is still likely to get to Kenyans in the classical "broken telephone" mode, which means the citizens get distorted/corrupted information that makes the situation even worse.

While the media seems to be carefully managed (some here calling it gagged), we need to make sure that the citizens atleast hear from our own media rather than foreigners as this news would still reach the people in distorted form.