[kictanet] Has the ICT Sector Failed?

Sam Gichuru gichuru at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 19:34:58 EAT 2013

Gilda, I agree with you, systems should be created to be functional and
that would probably to some extent define a perfect system, the number of
times we have seen, linkedIN, dropbox, MS products or twitter crash goes to
say a lot about having a perfect system. (twitter has 1300 people mostly
tech crew and total Funding of over $1.5 Billion way more than the IEBC
systems)

We recently had ATMS being "hacked" in december yet ATMS have existed way
longer than whatever system the IEBC is working with, so lets agree that
getting a perfect system, one that absolutely cannot fail is next to
impossible, a functional system is possible and even that comes with its
own challenges.

Mr Were, *"If you don't want to tell us what is failing and what is being
fixed then tell us WHY you can not tell us. Is it that you don't know, in
which case you should join is trying to find out WHAT is going on."*   we
cannot demand the same kind of transparency as when we have lost a data
bundle with safaricom or some emails from the server , this particular
piece of information is too critical and in the past if anything is to go
by its has been a matter of life and death, all the public needs to know
(and we are the public, not technology practitioner as far as this issue
goes) is that the problem is being fixed and data integrity will be
maintained, electronically or manually and later given proof that due
process was followed.

David, this might not be a witch hunt but the minute we start asking which
companies are involved the feedback we are likely to get can be used for a
witch hunt, companies are run by people, people are from tribes or
institutions that might be construed to be politically biased, so that line
of questions is very unlikely to produce any useful or positive results.

A full audit will be required of what happened with this IEBC system and
when the time for that comes lets demand for it.

Warm Regards,
------------------------
Sam Gichuru

twitter: | @samgichuru <http://twitter.com/samgichuru>