[kictanet] Has the ICT Sector Failed?

David Kobia david at kobia.net
Wed Mar 6 16:45:03 EAT 2013

A much needed conversation.

Whether we like it or not, many people on this list in many ways represent
the intellectual capital of the Kenyan ICT sector and the question should
probably be 'Where have *WE* failed at ICT' instead of 'Has the ICT Sector
Failed'. The problem has been kicked as upstairs as it can go, and this is
the top floor. It is our problem to own. This is the place where we
shouldn't be afraid to ask each other the tough questions -- and today the
question Edith posed is 'what went wrong?'. As Gilda says, accepting
failure is simply unacceptable. This is not a witch hunt or schadenfreude,
and I reject the notion that we should just call or txt someone to ask if
help is needed. We're not pushing a car, this is a national election.

So lets figure out where we dropped the ball and keep it moving. Onward.

David.