[kictanet] Merger of Agencies to Streamline ICT in Kenya

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 11 10:58:21 EAT 2013

I have always been a supporter of centralised information infrastructure for government services.

Given our historical nature where ICT Board, GITS, eGovernment and each ministry and agency with its own mini-ICT budget, it has always been impossible to achieve a unified ICT objective within govt.

Imagine being the CIO of Safaricom but having Marketing, Engineering, |HR and other departments buying and running their own ICT systems that have no relation to each other = disaster.  Think Lands, Immigration, AG, Police with their own un-connected ICT budgets then you will begin to see the need to harmonize at some level - as long as you dont kill the speed at which some ministries/ depts may wish to move.

walu.