[kictanet] President Kenyatta secures Microsoft support for computers

Evans Ikua ikua.evans at gmail.com
Thu Jun 6 17:30:05 EAT 2013

Thanks Dr. Ndemo for your response. I must clarify what my point in all
this is.

1. It is my belief that Microsoft will not offer everything for free. They
are here to make money, which is their inalienable right. So they will
offer a few subsidies here and there but the bottom line, and as reported
in the media, they stand to make billions out of this deal. As a tax payer,
I hate to see my Government wasting money buying software for which they
could have gotten better options at a fraction of the cost. Using open
source alternatives like Edubuntu could have given us far much better value
for every Shilling that we spend. If am the only one who sees it this way,
then I must be mad or something. Any individual or corporate that has the
money to spend is free to spend their money on whichever software that they
want. But public money needs to be spent on whatever product that gives the
best value.

2. The strategy for Microsoft as Dr. Ndemo clearly put it is to lock in the
market. This way they might consider giving away a few freebies to make the
deal look good. But we must remember that they do business for their own
best interest, not ours. In the long term, they have a captive market of
kids and future systems admins and developers who are beholden to their
platform. The result is that they continue minting money out of our
economy. What is  our interest in this? Do we just stand by and say that
there is nothing we can do? Most European and Asian countries have started
to see the light here and they are busy developing their local software
industries based on open source and open standards.

3. Are we doing anything as an open source community or we are just a talk
shop? Yes we are. Camara Educational foundation where I am a director has
done a great deal of work especially at the coast province enhancing
education using technology. They give computers to schools and support them
over the life time of the equipment. They also train the teachers on the
technology in partnership with Intel under the IntelTeach programme. They
have now moved upcountry and have a presence in Nairobi and Bungoma. The
man thing is that their computers come loaded with Edubuntu, along with
over 80 open source educational software and applications, not to mention
the RACHEL Server. RACHEL (Remote Area Community Hotspots for Education and
Learning) are low-cost, scalable deployments of the best open-source
software and creative commons educational content available.  World
Possible curates  from leading educational resources such as The Khan
Academy, Wikiepedia, CK-12 and many more, making a digital library in a box
available in one easy to reference location.  RACHEL software then allows
any computer to function as a server whereby all other computers can access
it's central repository in a internet-like environment.

4. Unfortunately, the President may not know that there is anything else in
the world apart from Microsoft. But the people who should be advising him
do. These are the people who look down on us and call us dreamers.

I look forward to the meeting at Strathmore where I will present my
position paper on this.

Ikua

Kind Regards,
Evans Ikua,*