[kictanet] President Kenyatta secures Microsoft support for computers

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 6 08:48:34 EAT 2013

Ikua,

I feel you and I am tempted to support your sentiments.  But I think this issue runs deeper than whether we should use Proprietary (Microsoft) or Open source software for our pupils in standard 1.  My take is we are in a situation where we may  NOT have defined the learning objectives, the curriculum, the teaching/delivery/assessments  etc.  I wish I am wrong but I think we have NO EDUCATIONAL SPECIFICATION of what we want this kids to come out with after blowing 60Billiion Ksh on laptops.

In the absence of this specification, you will get all types of vendors surrounding you and selling you all types of hardware, curricula, software, etc.  And then the choice of whom you work with, will very much depend on which vendor can pull the heaviest punch - financially speaking.

But all is not lost, we just need to define educational specification and then panel-beat all the vendors to do what we want, not what THEY want. And maybe that specification exists but is a cabinet secret - and so we shall continue fire-fighting in darkness.

walu.