[kictanet] IEBC acts to avert Safaricom exit from poll contract

Edith Adera eadera at idrc.ca
Tue Jul 23 11:28:51 EAT 2013

Is Safaricom saving face?

From: kictanet [mailto:kictanet-bounces+eadera=idrc.ca at lists.kictanet.or.ke] On Behalf Of Walubengo J
Sent: July 23, 2013 11:27 AM
To: Edith Adera
Cc: Bob Collymore; Nzioka Waita; KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions
Subject: [kictanet] IEBC acts to avert Safaricom exit from poll contract

@Bob, @Waita

A big-up for Safaricom for putting pressure on IEBC to ensure their technical/ICT systems are in order. If we want to reform our electoral institution, I think this is the way to go - as opposed to disbanding them :-)

I hope you get IEBC to use the Results Transmission System so that we can know the winner by the time we take dinner this friday evening.

walu.

~~~~~

The electoral commission has formed a technical team to negotiate with Safaricom, after the latter pulled out of a contract for live transmission of results for the Makueni by-election.

Leading mobile provider Safaricom announced it had pulled out of the deal with the Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission (IEBC) over confidence issues with the level of preparedness of the commission for the Makueni senatorial by-election.

http://www.nation.co.ke/News/IEBC-acts-to-avert-Safaricom-exit-from-poll-contract/-/1056/1922928/-/ghxg9c/-/index.html