[kictanet] Fw: KENIC set to be wound up

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Tue Jul 16 13:36:43 EAT 2013

@Adam,

I beg to differ. We can look at it in different interesting angles.

ccTLDS might belong to the days of yore but it is often used as a tool for
expressing identity and national pride, a sense of belonging, combined with
the very important aspect of root independence, and also controlling the
balance of trade by preventing capital flight, even if we are talking at
the level of 0.00001%. That is not something you ignore.

Multi-stakeholderism has been on the cross for a while in many sectors in
the region, that is scary. It's important to note that at ICANN47 in
Durban, everybody is throwing buzzwords how "bottom up", "PPP" are good
models for running public resources. Actually Mr. Fahdi the ICANN president
was so proud of the fact that ICANN is the only "true" multistakeholder
organisation in the world. Is this dying in Kenya?

On the commercial value, we are talking about 58M/year (Public info through
end year reports), and if we open up the second level, which will happen
one day, we will be talking 0.5B for the first year.

That is not something to ignore.

Warm Regards,
Mwendwa Kivuva
twitter.com/lordmwesh