[kictanet] Digital TV Migration: Local stations turnoff digital transmission - the plot thickens

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 1 19:06:24 EAT 2013

Hi,

http://www.cio.co.ke/news/main-stories/east-africa-broadcasters-raise-concern-over-startimes,-digital-migration,-local-content

Regards

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200
Kenya

Tel: +254722511225, +254202010696

________________________________
 From: robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk>
To: Kictanet Mail list <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>
Sent: Thursday, 2 May 2013, 17:35
Subject: Digital TV Migration: Local stations turnoff digital transmission

Hi,

Thought the share some new developments in the Digital Migration issues, as of last Saturday all the local TV stations except for KBC and family have disconnected their channel feed over the digital frequency.

I believe this is to enforce the recent demand by the Media Owners Association  to be issued with a digital TV distribution license which is likely to slowdown the migration and also the roll out of LTE.

(http://www.cofek.co.ke/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1552:kneya-media-owners-demand-third-digital-signal-licence-&catid=1:latest-news)

As of this posting over 1,000,000 consumers (COFEK), spread across the country, of the Startimes service do not have access to the local TV channels some are situated in areas that only received the KBC channels.

If this is how the private sector intends to arm twist the government into getting their way then as a nation we are in trouble, this action is jeopardizing a second foreign investors investment in the digital TV space.

We have got to this situation all because of the meddling in a process by COFEK therefore I expect them to be on the streets tomorrow demanding that the signal be reinstated with immediate effect.