[kictanet] Digital migration and mass ignorance

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Sun Jan 13 23:43:27 EAT 2013

Lucy,
Cofek is not interested in consumer matters.  Migration is not a consumer
matter (see my other post on what consumer matter is in a technological
change) it is a technological issue that aims to cater for all
communities. That will ensure the poor too can invest in broadcast and
give them a chance to create their own content.  In essence we are out to
protect consumers from rich, expensive content and help them create local
content that they can relate to and change their condition.

Wikipedia defines Consumer protection as consisting of laws and
organizations designed to ensure the rights of consumers as well as fair
trade competition and the free flow of truthful information in the
marketplace. The laws are designed to prevent businesses that engage in
fraud or specified unfair practices from gaining an advantage over
competitors and may provide additional protection for the weak and those
unable to take care of themselves.

The consititutions dictates that we consult with stakeholders.  We cannot
therefore have talks with Cofek which has non elected officials.  We shall
however have consultations with all stakeholders.  If we continue to give
latitude to Cofek, we shall one time regret because in my view they will
take up on everything.  We have so much unfair trade (which is what Cofek
should be doing) in Kenya that we need more than 10 consumer organizations
but our current consumer groups have not understood their mandate.

Ndemo.