[kictanet] University of Nairobi Set Top Boxes

Dennis Kioko dmbuvi at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 19:43:20 EAT 2013

I really don't think legislating things such as local production is a nice
move, it's one of the reasons why we end up with black markets,
since legislation is usually quite oblivious of laws of demand and supply.

As for funding, we have had M-Pesa for years and outblown our own vuvuzelas
on the same. For those of us who follow technology globally, you should be
aware of Kickstarter ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickstarter ) which has
gone ahead to fund quite some innovative IT projects in the US, such as a
really affordable Android "PlayStation" and an Android watch.

Locally, there is M-changa though seems not to have caught on.

If we are serious enough, we can imitate Kickstarter and have funding for
these done by M-pesa. The funding should have a goal to raise and have
something to give in return to fund raisers, ie maybe each will get a
decoder. Failure to raise the amount by a certain date should see funding
returned to fund raisers. the funding platform should donate how
many backers versus the amount raised . also necessary to find out what the
law says about shareholding and methods of raising capital, as such
investors can ideally become shareholders, if law applies.

I hope this will not end like a certain plant I hear
was crowd-funded before bidding investors goodbye(no refunds or even
acknowledgement) and going private.