[kictanet] University of Nairobi Set Top Boxes

Paul Kukubo pkukubo at ict.go.ke
Sat Feb 16 09:28:17 EAT 2013

This idea has plausibility and because it employs both hardware and
software, it fulfills the Tandaa funding requirment.

My suggestion, someone puts the teams together, designer, software and
hardware engineers, project teams etc and prepares the implementation plan.
This someone is called entrepreuner. I even go further to venture that the
money might be available from multiple sources. Additive manufacturing
(digital printing) makes the project very plausible as one of you has noted
in this thread.

On another note, is we spread this debate wider tbrough a public blog we
create knowledge.

The connected kenya2017 ICT Masterplan states that "Kenya will be Africa's
most globally respected Knowledge by 2017".

Asante
Paul Kukubo
CEO Kenya ICT Board

On Friday, February 15, 2013, Mark Mwangi <mwangy at gmail.com> wrote:
> But how much do you really need to assemble set top boxes? Is this that
complex an operation? Start with a thousand units, scale with increased
demand. Is this rocket science? The university or the lecturers involved
(who mostly run private firms) couldnt raise seed money?
> We have a problem with wanting to start with a bang. No culture of
starting small and growing.

> On Friday, 15 February 2013, Kivuva wrote:
>>
>> Phares, I'm a great proponent of local industrialization. It does a
>> lot of good to a countries economy, number one being reducing capital
>> flight.
>>
>> But the scenario is this, UoN have said they have prototypes that are
>> viable, but they don't have any means to produce them. Now, if we can
>> crack it and do it locally, that's the best move. But suppose those
>> strategic investors don't show up? Should the idea just die out and we
>> remain mass consumers, or should we outsource manufacturing/licence
>> the prototype to Asian and have a piece of the cake?
>>
>> On 15/02/2013, Phares Kariuki <pkariuki at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Manufacturing locally would absorb quite a number of semi skilled
>> > individuals into the workforce. Always a good thing.
>> >
>> > Outsourcing is not always a good idea. Check what happened to Dell &
ASUS.

https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/peres_were%40yahoo.co.uk

ICT

https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/mwangy%40gmail.com

--
Paul Kukubo
Chief Executive Officer, Kenya ICT Board

12th Floor, Teleposta Towers Koinange Street

Tel +254 20 2089061, +254 20 2211960
Fax: +254 20 2211962
website: www.ict.go.ke
local content project: www.tandaa.co.ke, www.facebook.com/tandaakenya
twitter:@tandaaKENYA
BPO Project: www. doitinkenya.co.ke
Digital Villages Project: www.pasha.co.ke

personal contacts
_______________

Cell: + 254 717 180001

skype: kukubopaul
googletalk: pkukubo
personal blog: www.paulkukubo.co.ke
personal twitter: @pkukubo

Vision: Kenya becomes a top ten global ICT hub

Mission: To champion and actively enable Kenya to adopt and exploit ICT,
through promotion of partnerships, investments and infrastructure growth
for socio economic enrichment