[kictanet] The Post Office Fiasco Shows Why America Is Doomed - Lessons for Posta and Kenya?

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 15 16:33:29 EAT 2013

The train left the station long ago

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200
Kenya

Tel: +254722511225, +254202010696

________________________________
 From: Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke>
To: robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk>
Cc: KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>
Sent: Friday, 15 February 2013, 15:25
Subject: Re: [kictanet] The Post Office Fiasco Shows Why America Is Doomed - Lessons for Posta and Kenya?

Robert

Absolutely. The million dollar question is what can we learn from the American Postal Service fiasco to enable us not repeat that story. Or has the train left the station already?

Ali Hussein
CEO | 3mice interactive media Ltd
Principal | Telemedia Africa Ltd

+254 773/713 601113

"The future belongs to him who knows how to wait." - Russian Proverb
Sent from my iPad

On Feb 15, 2013, at 11:02 AM, robert yawe <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Ali,

>The issue affecting the American postal service is also what ails our Postal Corp and at least in America they are talking about reneging on universal access yet we have just enshrined it into the constitution which means that PCK cannot charge different tariffs for delivery to far flung locations as they will be in contravention of the constitution.
>
>If America is having such a herculean task effecting that change yet for all intents and purposed they have achieved what we are proposing in the just launched ICT Masterplan imagine how much more difficult it will be for Kenya.
>
>This discussion has been going on for decades in America but with 60% of the US still being rural applying what the postal service is proposing will cost a number of elected officials there re-election when you consider the number of
 pensioners who still receive their cheques through the post.

>Regards
>

>PS.  Before anyone contests my 60% rural ratio remember that the yard stick for defining an area as rural is different from here just like you cannot service on a dollar a day in America but in Kenya you would.
>

>Robert Yawe
>KAY System Technologies Ltd
>Phoenix House, 6th Floor
>P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200
>Kenya
>

>Tel: +254722511225, +254202010696

 the same standards of acceptable behaviors online that you follow in real life: respect people's times and bandwidth, share knowledge, don't flame or abuse or personalize, respect privacy, do not spam, do not market your wares or qualifications.