[kictanet] Use of TV white space by Indigo and Microsoft

Song, Stephen stephen.song at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 18:18:13 EAT 2013

Hi all,

A few notes on TV White Spaces spectrum.

While it does involve television spectrum, it is not directly related nor
dependent on the transition from analogue to digital broadcasting.  This is
a common misunderstanding.  Television white spaces refers to the guard
bands left between analogue television broadcast channels in order to
prevent interference.  TV White Spaces technology is capable
of serendipitously re-using that empty spectrum without interfering with
existing television broadcast.  The initial vision was that through
spectrum sensing, the devices would automatically use whatever empty
spectrum was available, as a *secondary* user.  That means if a television
signal suddenly turn on in a frequency being used by a TV White Spaces
device, it would automatically cease using that frequency and find another
empty frequency to use.  The broadcast and wireless microphone industry in
the U.S. were unsatisfied with this solution and the idea of an
authentication database was introduced whereby TV White Spaces devices
would need to authentication against a spectrum database to see what
spectrum was available for use in the area it was being used.  Very low
power TV White Spaces devices are still allowed to use just spectrum
sensing.  In general TV White Spaces regulation in the US has been the
victim of massive lobbying and the result is some extremely hamstrung
regulation.

The UK has largely followed the US regulation with one significant
improvement.  The power output level of the devices is not fixed but can be
dictated by the settings in the authentication database.  This means that
higher power output levels could be assigned in sparsely populated rural
areas versus areas where there are many other spectrum users.

What is exciting about this technology?

1) No spectrum license required or at least a very nominal one.  This means
new opportunities for small entrepreneurs to provide alternative access.
2) Great propagation.  A typical TV White Spaces link can go 10km without
any effort and is not obstructed by trees, buildings, etc.
3) Innovation.  WiFi has gone from a niche spectrum for experiments to a
multi-billion dollar industry.  As many WiFi chipsets shipped last year as
mobile phones.  70% of smartphone data traffic in the US goes over WiFi.
 This is what open spectrum offers.  TV White Spaces has the potential to
be another such industry because of the low barrier to entry.
4) No spectrum re-farming required.  Because TV White Spaces technology is
designed for *secondary* use of spectrum, there is no need to move the
primary spectrum holder.  This is a quick and easy win.  Conflicts can be
easily resolved by the regulator thanks to the authentication database.

Does this interfere with new mobile frequencies?  No.  Here's how it breaks
down.

TV spectrum is basically VHF and UHF.   VHF (Band III: 174 - 230 MHz) and
UHF (Bands IV and V: 470 - 862 MHz).   In most African countries digital
broadcasting could be managed within the VHF band.  This is not true during
a dual illumination period and if digital broadcasting takes off, it could
move into the lower end of the UHF band.   At the World Radio Congress
(WRC-12) last year, there was confirmation of 790-862MHz (popularly known
as the 800MHz band) as a global IMT band.  There was also a move by some
African countries to have the 694-790MHz band (popularly known as the
700MHz band) made available in Region 1 (Africa and Europe) on an
accelerated basis, probably because there are lots of CDMA players already
in the 800MHz band.  700MHz is likely to be confirmed as an IMT band for
Region 1 at the WRC in 2015.

This leaves plenty of space between 470 and 694MHz for TV White Spaces.  Do
we have to guess how much?  No.  TV White Spaces just uses what is
available.  If digital broadcasters need more UHF spectrum, no problem. It
can be managed dynamically.  Spectrum re-farming typically takes years
(like 10-20 years) because of all of the entrenched interests.  Just look
at the digital switch-over for a case in point.  TV White Spaces is a
drop-dead easy way to create new opportunities for rural access.

Kudos to Mr. Ndemo for pushing this forward.  We held a workshop on TV
White Spaces in late 2011 (
http://www.openspectrum.org.za/tvwss-africa-workshop/) to which the CCK
were invited and attended but which was received with a high degree of
scepticism.

TV White Spaces are finally gaining traction however.  Google is sponsoring
a pilot in South Africa (
http://www.tenet.ac.za/about-us/the-cape-town-tv-white-spaces-trial/) and I
have heard that pilots are being explored in Uganda, Nigeria, and Malawi.
 This is going to be big and it is going to be great for both innovation
and entrepreneurship.

Regards... Steve Song

P.S.  And yes a clear frequency plan is essential.  What would be
absolutely amazing would be to see Kenyan spectrum allocation and
assignments published as Open Data (https://opendata.go.ke).  I think that
would be not just an African first but possibly a global first.  Spectrum
belongs to all of us, we ought to be transparent about it.  :-)

Steve Song
+1 902 529 0046
+27 83 482 2088 (SMS only)
http://manypossibilities.net