[kictanet] Use of TV white space by Indigo and Microsoft

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 00:43:07 EAT 2013

On Tue, Feb 5, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Mark Mwangi <mwangy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Came across this and in light of recent happenings I am curious to know the
> regulators opinion on this and what technology these guys are actually
> using.
>
> http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-releases/microsoft-teams-with-the-government-of-kenya-and-indigo-telecom-to-deliver-low-cost-solar-powered-broadband-access-using-cutting-edge-tv-white-space-technology-189739611.html
>
> Why isn't using white space (which I assume is intentionally unallocated
> spectrum) mainstream?

"White space" as used in recent years refers to spectrum previously
allocated to TV broadcast, but freed up post digital migration
(sometime referred to as "the digital didvidend")

I know the mzungu in the photos, I've asked him what CPE they are
using, will ask him about frequencies.

-
Cheers,

McTim