[kictanet] CCK shuts down illegal broadcast transmitters

Wambua, Christopher Wambua at cck.go.ke
Mon Feb 4 17:31:35 EAT 2013

Washington,

Frequencies are acquired illegally by crawling the airwaves (there are gadgets for doing this) and squatting on any that is available without first seeking authorization from the regulator.  This is not allowed in any jurisdiction because a lot of coordination with the ITU and neighbouring countries is done before regulators identify any frequency as free for assignment. That is why RMS transmitters that were using self-appropriated spectrum were causing harmful interferences in Uganda and Tanzania.

The procedure for applying for frequencies for the various radio communication services are available on our website at http://www.cck.go.ke/licensing/spectrum/procedures.html

The hoarding frequencies is virtually dead, largely through enforcement and trading in the secondary market.

I hope I have adequately answered your queries.

Best regards,

Christopher Wambua

Manager/Communications

Consumer and Public Affairs Division