[kictanet] 3 Media houses protest Majanja's Digital Migration Ruling

Matunda Nyanchama mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Mon Dec 30 09:41:16 EAT 2013

Someone pointed to the Tanzanian case study as per link below.

Case study of digital TV switchover in Tanzania

So what did Tanzania do differently?

On a different note, the issue of capacity (technical, financial, managerial, etc.) will continue to bedevil local companies for a long while, unless of course there are deliberate measures to ensure that capacity. And this, in my view, can be done through various policy options and strict enforcement of the same. What if we required that all major contracts of a given nature (strategic importance, value, etc.) require x% local participation, where x, in my view, should be 40 and above.

Messy as that may be, the results down the road, would show. It will be the local partners today that become the key players tomorrow! Take infrastructure (roads, telecommunications, buildings, etc.) and the regional (EAC, Comesa, etc.) that such players could take advantage of. But they aren't going to be of age without nurture!

And it isn't far-fetched for government to step in to offer preferential assistance to local firms that need a hand to strengthen their capacity. (NB: in the financial crisis in North America, governments stepped in to help companies survive and gain market share in the face of problems and onslaught from foreign businesses.)

Matunda Nyanchama, PhD, CISSP; mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Agano Consulting Inc.;  www.aganoconsulting.com; Twitter: nmatunda;  Skype: okiambe
Manage your ICT risks! We are the experts you need! The trusted partners you deserve!
Call: +1-888-587-1150 (Canada) +254-20-267-0743 (Kenya) or info at aganoconsulting.com
Licensed by Communications Commission of Kenya (CCK)
This e-mail, including attachments, may be privileged and may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the addressee(s). Any other distribution, copying, use, or disclosure is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the message, including any attachments, without making a copy. Thank you.