[kictanet] 3 Media houses protest Majanja's Digital Migration Ruling

Kivuva Kivuva at transworldafrica.com
Sun Dec 29 10:02:05 EAT 2013

Ali, I'm afraid many listers are not getting your argument, that of
auctioning our critical resources to foreigners.

Many of us have been dragged into taking sides either for the
government (CCK), or the local media houses. If we divorce them from
this debate, maybe we will be more objective.

Let me digress, we have enough coal in Kitui to setup a powerplant
that can propell Kenya to vision 2030 and stop relying on poor
rainfall and other unreliable renewable energy like geothermal. But
what did we do with the coal? We auctioned it to the Chinese "who need
the power more than us." That is the same thing happening to our
spectrum resources.

Forget about procurement laws and let's think about economics that
will build the country without taking sides. Is it better to give the
frequency distribution to a local firm, and keep local dollars local,
or is it better to have that capital flight to China? We should even
give the third licence FREE to a consortium of local firms than
auction it for a Billion dollars to a foreigner.

Are we a nation that has lost national pride?

Remember CCK cannot have an objective stand on this since Wambua has
to respond with the official government position, and I cannot fault
him for that. Only civil society can take the high moral ground and do
what is good for Kenya. Advocate for our critical resources, airwaves,
minerals, tourism, ... to be controlled by locals.

Dr. Ndemo is the economist on the list. Can he teach us why developed
economies work so hard to support their industries, while Kenya works
extra hard to support foreign economies? What are the repercussions on
future generations?

Anybody who cannot get this argument is beyond uncolonization.