[kictanet] We must tread carefully on cyber security

Ngigi Waithaka ngigi at at.co.ke
Fri Dec 6 13:33:33 EAT 2013

Listers,

I am actually failing to see how legislation will reduce cyber crime in
Kenya or even act as a deterrent.

The problems we have with the Internet is simply that it knows no borders.
Infact, I would presume that most of the Cyber Crime in Kenya is actually
not committed by persons in Kenya and as long as we remain a technology
backwater, this will be the trend. Legislating against this wouldn't affect
the price of Kenyan Internet Cyber Crime mangoes.

So, what do we do against Cyber Crime? There are a couple of things we
could do:
1. Use the same concept that we use to tackle air pollution challenges. You
can't tackle air pollution alone, seeing that there is no way to stop air
flowing from one country to next. So what do you do, you tackle the car
manufacturers, demand that they make cars that meet your emission
requirements.
How is this relevant? We should target making laws where we *force*
manufacturers to make secure products, if they will sell them say in AU
countries. If MS Windows, was a lot more secure than it is now, wouldn't
that maybe half our Cyber - Crime issues?
2. Setup up a crack anti-Cyber - Crime unit. Fight fire with fire! We need
to protect against outside cyber attacks to our country same way we defend
ourselves by having KDF. We don't make laws for Uganda not to attack us, we
just let them know subtly that if they do, there are consequences.

Regards
Waithaka Ngigi
A1.iO

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Dennis Kioko <dmbuvi at gmail.com> wrote:

> Technology does work - those of you who have used Google Mail and Yahoo
> Mail know the difference in Spam levels.
>
> You can also Google "Google Postini" and understand why many corporates
> paid for it despite having internal mail systems.
>
> Some legislation is however needed to tackle notorious spammers.
>
> In Kenya though, we tend to try to solve problems by legislation, which in
> turn makes doing business harder.
>
> Road accidents are a bigger problem in Kenya despite lots of legislation.
>
> Sent using CloudMagic
> <https://cloudmagic.com/k/d/mailapp?ct=pa&cv=1.0.8.5&pv=4.4>
>

> On Fri, Dec 06, 2013 at 11:19 am, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> @Ali,
>
> your comments sound like ITU-WCIT debate Reloaded :-)
>
> Let me be cheeky abit.
>
> If SPAM can ONLY be tackled by technology - why hasn't it been tackled?
> Indeed the technology that could kill spam (e.g. PKI deployment at IP,
> SMTP, DNS-SEC, etc- apologies for the Tech jargon) has been with us for
> over 10years...how come spam refused to die?
>
> Dont get me wrong, I am still civil-society biased. It is just that I get
> worried when solutions to complex problems are straight-jacketed into one
> block (tech, political, legal or otherwise).  I think the solutions do not
> lie on ONE of the above, but all of the above.
>
> walu.

> On Fri, 12/6/13, Ali Hussein <ali at hussein.me.ke> wrote:
>
> Subject: Re: [kictanet] We must tread carefully on cyber security
> To: "Walubengo J" <jwalu at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions" <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>
> Date: Friday, December 6, 2013, 10:59 AM
>
> Walu
> I'm of the opinion that Spam is an issue
> tackled best by technology NOT legislation...
>
> Ali Hussein
> +254 0770
> 906375 / 0713 601113
> "I fear the day technology will
> surpass human interaction. The world will have a generation
> of idiots".  ~ Albert Einstein
> Sent from my iPad
> On Dec 6, 2013, at 10:54 AM, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> @Ndemo,
>
> The fact that the raccoon (google says this is some
> animal in the US :-) did manage to flood your email with
> spam is a confirmation that we do need the cyber-laws even
> in Africa :-)
>
> Anyway, whereas I agree with most of your article I
> had a comment on this one paragraph :
>
> The industry sometimes lies with
> statistics that in most cases do not make any sense.
> Gullible nations are spending a fortune on cyber security.
> Even countries with less than one per cent Internet
> penetration are talking about cyber security.
> <<
>
> I was of the opinion that countries with fewer
> machines online SHOULD be talking loudest about
> Cybersecurity simply because we live in a connected world.
> [...]

*Regards,*

*Wait**haka Ngigi*
Chief Executive Officer | Alliance Technologies | MCK Nairobi Synod Building
T + 254 (0) 20 2333 471 |Office Mobile: +254 786 28 28 28 | M + 254 737 811
000
www.at.co.ke