[kictanet] We must tread carefully on cyber security

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 6 10:54:18 EAT 2013

@Ndemo,

The fact that the raccoon (google says this is some animal in the US :-) did manage to flood your email with spam is a confirmation that we do need the cyber-laws even in Africa :-)

Anyway, whereas I agree with most of your article I had a comment on this one paragraph :

>>>The industry sometimes lies with statistics that in most cases do not make any sense. Gullible nations are spending a fortune on cyber security. Even countries with less than one per cent Internet penetration are talking about cyber security. <<

I was of the opinion that countries with fewer machines online SHOULD be talking loudest about Cybersecurity simply because we live in a connected world. Most IT-savvy cyber-criminals  based in developed economies hijack the few  "3rd-world" (forgive the use of word) networks/computers to launch attacks in other jurisdictions. Unless there are laws/frameworks compelling corrective action most of these local networks will forever remain vulnerable.

However, it also true is that some autocratic/non-democratic governments are going to ride this cyber-security bandwagon for the sake of adding more repression to their citizenry. The civil-society (recently baptized as evil-society :-) must forever be watchful.

walu.