[kictanet] Postal Corporation Closing Outlets - regurgitated

Ngigi Waithaka ngigi at at.co.ke
Thu Dec 5 14:50:54 EAT 2013

Listers,

The bottomline question that plagues most Postal Services is whether they
can be ran independently and at the same time at a profit?

Postal Services provide such basic services in elementary communication
that sometimes they would need to ran, for at least an entire country to
communicate, even if they are doing so at a loss. As an example, I doubt
there is little business sense having a Post Office for the whole of
Turkana County, but, basic service delivery demands it.

In a way, and as a country, we need to look at the previous Kenya Posts &
Telecommunications as one with some parts by default probably being the
revenue earners, others due to their very nature, revenue lossers.

The targets we set Postal Services should primarily be about service
delivery & revenue generation second. It would hence make more sense if
Postal Services could guarantee delivery of parcels across the country in
say 7 days, and hence boost eCommerce significantly when everyone,
including that guy in North Horr has a distinct Postal Address rather than
make a few billion shillings in profits by closing most of the postal
outlets.

Almost 2-cents worth...

Regards
Waithaka Ngigi
A1.iO

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Phares Kariuki <pkariuki at gmail.com> wrote:

> Postal corporation is an irrational corporation.
>

> They are shutting down outlets, yet it’s almost impossible to get an
> address with them. The more outlets they shut down, the less valuable the
> entire network is simply because you have fewer locations you can mail.
>

> We don’t need USF to expand PCK offices, we simply need rational minds
> running it.
> ------------------------------
> From: Wambua, Christopher Wambua, Christopher <wambua at cck.go.ke>
> Reply: Wambua, Christopher wambua at cck.go.ke
> Date: December 5, 2013 at 1:55:03 PM
> To: Phares Kariuki pkariuki at gmail.com
>
> Subject:  Re: [kictanet] Postal Corporation Closing Outlets -
> regurgitated
>
>  Kivuva,
>

> We know that interconnection exists in the postal/courier sub-sector, and
> indeed CCK encourages it.   That is why are basing our projections on both
> the public and private postal/courier operators. Just to summarize my two
> earlier responses, we shall realize the target by:
>

> 1.       Using USF to expand PCK post offices,
>
> 2.       Encouraging usage of postal outlets for government services
> hence securing sustainability as well as expansion,
>
> 3.       Licensing more rural private postal/courier operators
>
> 4.       Liberalizing where possible certain existing postal exclusive
> services currently reserved for PCK to encourage growth. We have commenced
> a comprehensive study in this area to inform the review.
>

> Best regards,
>

> * Christopher Wambua*
>
> * Manager – Communications*
>
> * Consumer and Public Affairs Department*
>
> * Communications Commission of Kenya*
>
> * P.O. Box 14448 NAIROBI 00800*
>
> * Tel: +254 20 4242209*
>
> * info at cck.go.ke <info at cck.go.ke>*
>
> * www.cck.go.ke <http://www.cck.go.ke>*

*Regards,*

*Wait**haka Ngigi*
Chief Executive Officer | Alliance Technologies | MCK Nairobi Synod Building
T + 254 (0) 20 2333 471 |Office Mobile: +254 786 28 28 28 | M + 254 737 811
000
www.at.co.ke