[kictanet] Govt: Children will not take laptops home

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 12 21:17:41 EAT 2013

Thanks, Barnabas.

You have just mentioned the right name - Temba John (Project Manager at
MOE). Would it be possible for you to introduce Mr. Temba to this forum so
that he can help clear the air on some of these issues which are still
clouded in mystery. He must be have a very clear Project Guideline (or
whatever PMs call it) and this being a public project (it's funded by
taxpayers, I suppose) it does make sense to make the details of the project
public for scrutiny, right??

I am interested in knowing a few things:

1. What are the specs of the 'laptop'? I believe this is already known.
It's not like buying goat meat! This MUST be clear. We want
    to know if the cost per unit is justified.
2. From (1), we can know the Power Requirements, which then leads to the
3rd & 4th questions
3. How are the laptops going to be powered? Is it going to be a
solar-powered system? Solar is better as we all know it's renewable.
    From this, we can then estimate the cost factor for powering the units
for the number of hours they are supposed to run.
4. How is the content going to be driven? If the MOE have developed this
content, then for sure we should start talking about the OS
    which is going to drive the laptops - and the security related to the
OS, if I may add.
5. How are the devices going to be secured? An interesting conversation
I've had with a member of this list introduced a very critical
    angle to the project: We all know there are schools which don't even
have proper classrooms. These schools are not going to be asked to NOW
build a Computer Building (as I guess it will be called) to store the
laptops, right? All schools will need to have a facility that can support
the devices, in terms of power supply, networking and storage (if the
laptops will remain in the school).
It's important to know if a school with 150 kids in Standard 1 (3 streams
of 50 kids each) will get 150 laptops or perhaps there is a finite number
of laptops that are going to be given to every school. The saying that each
kid entering Std 1 will be given a laptop MUST be clarified - NOW. Suppose
we have 150 laptops in a school, how are they going to be used/stored? I
assume a laboratory (aka Computer Room). In this case then, it does make
sense for the govt to contract a company (one of the cement companies) and
an architectural company to design a prefabricated lab - complete with
power sockets, seats, network infrastructure to support the utilization of
the laptops. This prefabricated lab which meets certain standards can then
be supplied to ALL SCHOOLS as part of the laptop project. With standardized
features, we can then safely assume uniformity within the projects
implementation. This way no school will lag behind when the whistle is blow
my the match commissar (Kaimenyi) or when H.E. Commissions the laptop
project.

I believe members did get to see the following advert: http://goo.gl/zIrT7C.

I am curious about the inclusion of Printers and Projectors!!

*LOT      No. Item Description     Bid Security Amount (KES) *
1           Laptops                         228,000,000
2          * Printers *                       14,000,000
3          * Projectors *                    20,400,000

What are the printers going to be used for? Why do we need printers if we
can have a paperless setup? Who will fund the running of the printers
(paper, toner, maintenance)??

And as if that is not enough, we have PROJECTORS! Now I seriously feel
something is amiss. Projectors for what purpose?? Can't they just use a
Smart Board? I believe even a 42" LCD Display connected to the teacher's
laptop is big enough for a classroom.

Anyway, my point is that with the publication of the Project Plan Document,
we can then all see how the jigsaw will fit together.
Where it falls short, we can all accept that there are limitations to
everything.

For avoidance of doubt, and to stop us from developing all sorts of
conspiracy theories, the document MUST (*not* should) be made public for
scrutiny.

On 12 August 2013 18:46, Walubengo J <jwalu at yahoo.com> wrote:
> @Sang,
>
> True that. I do recall participating in the facilitation of the  5day ICT
> Strategy for Education a while back and it did envision what the
government
> is trying to do.  However, reading from other Listers you might agree that
> the government has been sending out mixed "Policy level" signals that must
> be confusing to stakeholders (the Tech-Partners, the Teachers, The
Parents,
> The Content Publishers - just to name a few).
>
> I think CS Prof. Kaimenyi for Education (the process owner) must work with
> CS Dr. Matiangi for Min of ICT to deliver this thing successfully. The
> flip-flopping (e.g Laptop vs Tablet, Networked PCs vs No Networked PCs,
> Going home with device vs Locking them up, cost of Ksh26,000 through
8,000a
> nd most recently 15,000, etc) is not good PR.
>
> It betrays a project under seige by forces beyond the control of the
Cabinet
> Secretaries.
>
> my 2Coins of analysis.
>
> walu.
> enjoy Uasin Gishu - the land of champions.

Otherwise,
> professionals can book appointments with Temba John (Project Manager at
MOE)

education.go.ke at lists.kictanet.or.ke]

https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/odhiambo%40gmail.com

https://lists.kictanet.or.ke/mailman/options/kictanet/kivuva%40transworldafrica.com