[kictanet] Laptops for 2014 class 1 entrants - justified

James Kulubi jkulubi at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 12 12:56:14 EAT 2013

Government policy is somewhat
a controversial topic to discuss. But it is better to go back to the basics.  Government policy is a statement on government
actions, plans or intent specified through cabinet memos, policy (or sessional)
papers approved by the national assembly, presidential statements, ministerial
statements, etc. Policy is further clarified through bills, budgets and
regulations which provide details on implementing agencies, procedures,, offences, funding, technology  and other finer details
If we assume that this is
true, then the next question is what is the policy of the government as regards
the lap-top project? The general view is that the policy aims to provide
alternative learning through multimedia to all levels of learning from primary
school to university and for continuing education.” As per the existing
technology, multimedia educational content access could be through desk-top
computers with internet connection, lap-tops/ipads with preloaded content or
smart phones.
Therefore, what could the
most appropriate implementing legislation in the current scenario? It could
read like “The Government will promote the use of multimedia technology to
support learning in all public schools, colleges and universities”
Do we have adequate legal instruments?
Yes we only need refinement. The government has three laws, i.e the Education
Act, the Information and Communication Act and the Finance Act 2013.
How could you take into
account the issue of changing technology? You could insert a statement in the education
that “All public schools will access approved multimedia content through devices
that comply to approved standards. The standards will be revised from time to
time and gazetted in the Kenya Gazette.” This will provide room for the
Government to set up a committee to consult and set standards covering content,
computational hardware (CPU speed, memory capacity, etc), internet access, screen
size, power, disability support, etc.
In addition to the
technology, what else could be in the regulations? You could consider including
“Free laptops will be provided to all students joining primary school. The
Cabinet Secretary may add other classes through notice in the Kenya Gazette.”
Clearly it gets more
complicated as you address regulations. Policy therefore becomes a continuing process.
Let me hear you views ….
James Kulubi