[kictanet] Why Barr the Media from PS Interviews?

stephen Mutoro smutoro at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 30 09:21:02 EAT 2013

Thanks Edith,

I am replying you from San Antonio, US. I am aware of the very sad development in such a key process. It confirms our earlier fears that indeed the process failed public credibility long ago. Kenyans from all walks of life must condemn the irrational manner in which PSC Chairperson Prof Margaret Kobia is taking Kenya back to the old dark days. When she recently called me, she said all will be well with the interviews. She later changed the shortlist from her self-imposed number of 122 to 155 without explanation. She still hasn't formally responded to Cofek concerns long after agreeing to do so. Locking out the media (read public) negates the whole essence of interviews and reducing PSC wide discretion on whom to recommend as PS. It is an affront on Article 10 of CoK 2010 and it can't go unchallenged. Since her own interview and that of other PSC were done behind closed doors, she probably wants to set another wrong precedent. Kenyans must reject this
 cartel-like manner that PSC.

As far as we are concerned, all PSC is doing behind closed doors, especially failing or ignoring to mention public representations against some of the questionable nominees is wrong. To again limit such receipt of such representations to May 2, 2013 when interviews are running up to May 10, 2013 is unjustified. Our argument remains, that as chief Ministry accounting officers, any shortcuts on avoiding credibility checks will as well as mark the beginning of end on the fight against corruption, impunity and living to President Uhuru Kenyatta's clarion call of "Twasema, Twatenda"

Kind regards,

Stephen Mutoro
www.cofek.co.ke