[kictanet] The future of learning and the President's proposal on Computers

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 21 18:26:49 EAT 2013

That's the irony of mobile/3G networks. Quality of link varies depending on the traffic levels at a given time and location.  I was upcountry in Western Kenya, some 500km away from Nairobi and I could watch video on the very same 3G link - most of the times. I suppose I was relatively the rich don/mobile-data subscriber on that particular base station in this rural setting and was enjoying hoarding the link :-)

But here in Nairobi, most folks are largely rich dons and are online hence the congestion and the challenge for Operators on how to manage this type of situation. Continuous expansion to accommodate more traffic means you wont have time to make profit from your previous investments/expansion.  The easiest thing to do is to apply "congestion pricing" where you settle on a price that tries to keep away additional subscribers who would otherwise spoil the surfing experience of those subscribers your already have.  You could also encourage after-hours surfing (after 10pm) where those determined to be online can wait the time and get online when the rest are snoring.

walu.