[kictanet] Scramble for Fibre Optic Infrastructure in Kenya. When will Telcos embrace the Frenemy Concept and stop individual build out?

David Kariuki kariukidw at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 14:24:19 EAT 2013

I think this is as a result of failures in different aspects on Management.
We don't have a country wide plan for infrastructure that governs roads,
ducts, sewage and other general infrastructure. this coupled with all
ministries and councils work in Silos then the end result is that network
reliability is very poor due to service disruptionsand if each and every
service provider lays their own cable with a view that if they can control
it then they can do a better job. This also makes the price for
connectivity to remain high as the operators strive to recover their costs

The national broadband policy is supposed to supply general guidance on
such issues but I think it will be too late when it is implemented