[kictanet] Scramble for Fibre Optic Infrastructure in Kenya. When will Telcos embrace the Frenemy Concept and stop individual build out?

Ali Hussein ali at hussein.me.ke
Mon Apr 15 08:55:03 EAT 2013

Listers

Am I naive in thinking that the Telco sector needs to come together and
stop individual build out of fibre optic networks across the country?

We should be concerned because the normal Return on Investment principals
suggest that for them to recoup the cost of this infrastructure the
customer needs to pay for it? Is this a case for a Private Public
Partnership?

Does the Information Ministry have an opinion on this?

Does TESPOK have an opinion on this?

Wasn't the government involved in this at some point? Or is my memory not
serving me right?

I know these are many questions...Which need to be answered..

http://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/business/MTN-Kenya-drops-partners-and-lays-own-fibre-cable-in-Nairobi-/-/2560/1747420/-/wupiwe/-/index.html

*Ali Hussein*

*CEO, 3mice interactive media ltd*

*Partner, Telemedia Africa Ltd