[kictanet] ICT Value to the Counties

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 2 11:31:53 EAT 2013

Washington,

You have just answered your own question while at the same time agreeing with me that the solution can be provided by technology.

The traffic lights along Kenyatta Avenues work brilliantly until the police show up and confuse the entire smooth flow as they try to second guess the lights.  The lighting system installed in Nairobi is more advanced than many of us think especially those recent immigrants to the city who have no recollection of efficiently working system.

What you have indicated is that we need a good program developed and building in a feedback mechanism integrated to handle exceptions, this such a basic application that can be developed by anyone with a little development language.

The County of Nairobi has an entire department responsible for monitoring, analysing and implementing traffic flow solutions, many of the staff have post graduate degrees in their fields.  I once had the privilege of driving together with one of the staff in the department past the City Mortuary round about and I made a the "expert" statement that "only a fly over could solve the snarl-ups".

He literally laughed in my face and told me to stop regagiated a former minister of roads statements, the solution he told me was to make the particular round about smaller, a proposal that had been presented to the ministry, being responsible for the particular road as it is a trunk, who dismissed it as too pedestrian to work.

A few years later the proposal was actually implemented and the snarl-up cleared, the same was done to the Langata Road/Mbagathi Road roundabout but was not extended to the Argwins Kodhek roundabout which would have been required to provide a complete solution.

So Washington, the police officer who was telling you that the lights cannot solve the traffic problem on Mombasa Road/Uhuru Highway/Waiyaki way main city artery was as knowledgeable in traffic flow as I am in thrombosis analysis.

The reason that both sets of lights at the Nyayo Stadium do not work is because the hawkers have been providing incentives to those responsible for maintaining the status quo, it has nothing to do with the lack of complex algorithms in the traffic lights system.

If Dr. Kidero (MBA) is truly digital one of his deliverable for the first 100 days in office should be to get the lights switched back on along the entire length of Nairobi's main artery while at it he should clean all the pedestrian bridges and send those police officers back to the station for redeployment and replace them with speed cameras and the highly effective kanjo askaris to deal with the basic issue of drivers and pedestrians not adhering to the traffic lights.

With the current fine of 10,000/- for not stopping at a red light for drivers and 2,000/- for pedestrians he will be able to cover his payroll for April, May and June after which we shall either be too broke to drive into the CBD or have learned to respect them, either of which is a desirable outcome.

So, can we now agree that we have a role to play in making Nairobi a better county to live in or will we continue to be spectators in our own industry?

Regards

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor