[kictanet] Music Piracy in Kenya - Government can Help

Bernard Kioko [Bernsoft Interactive Limited] bkioko at bernsoft.com
Fri Sep 28 05:52:27 EAT 2012

Kivuva,

Thank you for this. It took me 1year of pondering on whether to write the
email and more specifically if to disclose the website. I understand the
effect of exposing the website and I agree with you it may not be the best
thing, BUT I also believe that piracy is partly won by change of attitude
among people. When you download a free song from that website, you will have
denied your brother or sister a livelihood. I can list the number of music
artists who cannot pay rent this month. If they sold their music legally,
that situation would be different.

I also believe the people in this list are interested in policies and
frameworks and less of anything that breaches the same.

Using the legal frameworks and institutions in place, we can get this
website blocked.

I am glad to report that when I raised this issue with Bob Collymore,
Safaricom, via email today, his PA called me within a record 1hr to pledge
support and after we specified the help we need, they have promised to get
back to us by Tuesday next week with the same.

I am still awaiting for response from Airtel CEOs (Kenya, regional and
Africa CEOS) who I also sent similar emails. I shall engage Orange, YU and
the traditional ISPs tomorrow. I have sent similar requests to CCK. The
first step is to try and get this resolved amicably. The problem is visible
to everyone. If we fail with first step, then we proceed to court if that's
how we need to enforce.

We are also planning to engage KRA on this. For the little content we sell,
we lose 26% vat and excise duty to them so it's in their interest that we
sell this content.

I hope we can count on many other institutions  to support us.

Regards