[kictanet] Music Piracy in Kenya - Government can Help

James Kariuki jkariuki at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 17:28:04 EAT 2012

> You and your brother own a goat at 50/50. Your brother is also a member of a
> society that sells goats called (lets call it GCSK J ). One morning your
> brother goes to GCSK and tells them he has a goat and they tell him, we can
> sell the goat. They take the goat and sell it. You return home and your
> brother tells you BTW, I sold the goat….and he tells you…I was paid my 50%
> and directs you to go to GCSK to get your money. At GCSK, they tell you, if
> you are not a member we can’t pay you! Further, they tell you, after 3 yrs
> any money we collect that belongs to non-members “evaporates” – well not in
> those words exactly!

What I read here is of an industry or at least a section of it that
has completely refused to evolve with the times. The traditional
market-place underwent a major transformation. Why would I in this day
and age want to buy a full CD if I just need or like one song in the
full CD? I guess part of the losses and infringements that are
reported here are part because of the rigidity in the industry in
embracing the mix and mash.

For a musician or producer, why would you want to sell CDs when the
sale of individual songs out-performs the sale of complete CDs?

Having said that, I do not get the issue of 'licensing a limited
number of duplicates'.

--James