[kictanet] [Skunkworks] SAP and Kenya ICT Board Partner on Skills Develeopment

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 20 18:38:25 EAT 2012

@Barrack,

First, a disclosure that as an involved party my views are likely to be biased

That said I dont see how either brain drain or strategic mismatch comes in - perhaps you could elaborate.  Otherwise from my understanding is that the big corporates in Africa use big ERP software just like most corporates accross the globe.  SAP, Oracle JD Edwards take up a huge chunk of this market. Closer home, Bidco, Nation, EABL, Safaricom, Kenya Power, Mumias Sugar, etc use either of these ERPs and did you know that they fly in consultants from Europe/US/Asia to do the customization, deployment and maintenance of the same?  These consultants cost a bomb, stay in expensive hotels, work hard 4days a week and party harder around the country over the weekend....

What Paul at ICT Board is trying to do, is to make sure that in the next 6-12mnths, Kamau, Onyango, Wafula, Koech and many other Kenyans will form the larger part of this privileged group of professionals.  They will be certified SAP Professionals and should attract good income, within and across Africa -indeed globally.

I still dont see why this would cause  brain drain or a strategic mismatch.

walu.