[kictanet] maddog blogs about his experience celebrating software in Kenya

Walubengo J jwalu at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 14 11:00:19 EAT 2012

Evans,

+1

walu.

________________________________
 From: Evans Ikua <ikua.evans at gmail.com>
To: jwalu at yahoo.com
Cc: KICTAnet ICT Policy Discussions <kictanet at lists.kictanet.or.ke>
Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 9:19 AM
Subject: [kictanet] maddog blogs about his experience celebrating software in Kenya

Into Africa: A visit to Kenya on Software Freedom Day, 2012
The first thing you notice about Kenya is that everyone wants to know your name. When you first meet a person from Kenya you ask their name,
and you tell them your name. You shake their hand and ask them how they
are doing. You ask about their family, and they ask about your family.
Then they smile.
I was in Kenya at the invitation of Evans Ikua, the coordinator for LPI in East Africa. I had met Evans several times due to FOSSFA (Free and Open Source Software Foundation for Africa) meetings, and meetings of ict at innovation, a capacity building program funded mostly by the Government of Germany. Evans was coordinating Software Freedom Day (SFD) in Kenya, and wanted
me as a speaker. Evans was also the Chairman of the Linux Professional Association of Kenya. To sweeten the invitation, he promised to take me to a national
wildlife preserve to watch the wildebeest (also known as GNU) migration.

Please read more in his blog here

Kind Regards,
Evans Ikua,
lanetconsulting.com,