[kictanet] maddog blogs about his experience celebrating software in Kenya

Evans Ikua ikua.evans at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 09:19:50 EAT 2012

 Into Africa: A visit to Kenya on Software Freedom Day, 2012

The first thing you notice about Kenya is that everyone wants to know your
name. When you first meet a person from Kenya you ask their name, and you
tell them your name. You shake their hand and ask them how they are doing.
You ask about their family, and they ask about your family. Then they smile.
I was in Kenya at the invitation of Evans Ikua, the coordinator for LPI in
East Africa <http://www.lpi-eastafrica.org/>. I had met Evans several times
due to FOSSFA (Free and Open Source Software Foundation for
Africa<http://www.fossfa.net/>)
meetings, and meetings of ict at innovation, a capacity building program
funded mostly by the Government of Germany. Evans was coordinating Software
Freedom Day (SFD) in Kenya, and wanted me as a speaker. Evans was also the
Chairman of the Linux Professional Association of
Kenya<http://www.lpakenya.org>.
To sweeten the invitation, he promised to take me to a national wildlife
preserve to watch the wildebeest (also known as GNU) migration.

Please read more in his blog
here<http://www.lpi.org/blog/africa-visit-kenya-software-freedom-day-2012>

--
Kind Regards,