[kictanet] Draft National ICT Masterplan

S.M. Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 02:38:47 EAT 2012

The document looks strategic.

http://pedromatias.co.uk/what-is-strategy-strategy-vs-planning/

If it is a plan, then it could offer basic financial education (guidelines)
to purchase sufficient skills and time for Transparency Enhancing IT
projects.

As a general rule, in developed nations, for every dollar spent on (non
discounted mid level) software licensing, a dollar is spent on
implementation. Over 6-7 years, they generally spend 6-7 times the initial
cost of the software licenses to maintain or enhance it.

Adapting this to our local (lower wage) situation: 30% to 50% of licensing
costs should be budgeted for deployment of software.

Go.Ke budgets for implementation and maintenance seem to be 5% to 10% of
software licensing prices.

This is why so much enterprise software purchased goes without being well
deployed, if it is deployed at all.

There should be a minimum *annual* budget of 30% (of initial license costs)
for maintenance over 5-10 years.

Large vendors support software for up to 10 years + by that time, the
initial hardware will have given in to age.

Older software costs more to maintain as younger (more affordable)
technologists are not interested in learning it.

There should be penalties for non performance - sabotage - starving IT
(Transparency Enhancing) projects of funds.

Research recently noted on this list:

*"Government of Kenya spends 0.3% on IT as a percentage of overall
spending. This is 20 times less than government industry average of 6.5% .
(based on Gartner benchmarks).*
*
*
*a.    Most of the spending is on hardware at 65% compared to global
benchmark of 18%. IT spending on staff is significantly lower 18% as
opposed to 38% for global benchmark."*