[kictanet] Who Controls the Internet?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 20:47:49 EAT 2012

On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 11:39 AM, Michael Bullut <main at kipsang.com> wrote:

> @McTim:
>
> I beg to differ on your first point. Ten out of thirteen of the Internet's
> root servers reside within the United States.

yes, and several of these orgs are US gov bodies (NASA and the U.S. Army).
 As Kivuva mentioned, Anycast let's root-ops run servers in multiple
locations, including 2 at KIXP.

> If there's a global issue & some countries differ with it on it's stand /
> viewpoint, what would the U.S. from blocking traffic to those countries'
> websites?

Well, first of all, the US gov CANNOT change the rootzone file.  They can
give final approval to changes as per the existing agreement.

What they actually do is check to see that processes have been followed,
they DO NOT edit the rootzone file itself, nor can they.

Second, what is in the rootzone DOES NOT determine traffic flows to
individual websites.  The rootzone is a list of TLDs and associated name
server addresses for those TLDs.

In other words, the US CANNOT block traffic to/from websites, you have been
misled I am afraid.

--
Cheers,

McTim