[kictanet] [ISOC_KE] Prosecution of online hate speech

Mark Mwangi mwangy at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 12:24:07 EAT 2012

Hello All,

Privacy and national security are a grey area in my opinion because the
issues are heavily subject to interpretation and context.

I however have reservations to having an opaque body sifting through my
communication and life in general.

If a system similar to the one in place in Estonia was put in place then I
would have no problem. I understand there all information on a citizen from
ID, health records,police records,phone no, internet,utility, tax records
etc are centralized and every citizen has access to their information and
is notified of anyone requesting any specific information.

So if the police are investigating you, you know about it immediately same
for rogue agencies or operatives in the government accessing your
information for illegal use.  That level of transparency makes it difficult
or impossible to plan anything in secret as a citizen and fellows like the
MRC would be apprehended in no time since the money-trail would be dirt
simple to follow.

But with the system set as it is with a totalitarian government that is a
law unto itself threatening citizens against rattling snakes then this is
not a good thing for the country whether short or long term.

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 1:28 AM, Grace Githaiga <ggithaiga at hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Thanks Kivuva, Barrack, Alex, Gideon and Ali for such a vibrant debate on this topic.
> Please feel free to still debate if you have more concerns. And other Listers are encouraged to contribute.
>

> Points gleaned from the debate:****
>
> Kivuva suggests that there is need to safeguard personal freedom and space even as the
> safety of the nation is important.****
>
> Barrack notes that leadership and freedom come with responsibility! Further, he recommends
>
> that the Police Inspector General (not in office yet) collaborates with
> stakeholders to ensure cyber security of the citizenry is guaranteed whilst
> respecting privacy, and for CCK to conduct a survey on issue of surveillance.
>
> Gideon supports the development of the means to curtail any irresponsibility online at an early stage.****
>
> Alex raises the costs monitoring of hate speech would impose on cybercafés,
>
> which would then be transferred to the consumers. This would be a barrier to access and cybercafés
>
> would be forced to either increasetheir prices, or simply stop operating because of the costs.
>
> Important to note is that crime and hate speech are a big problem, that cannot be solved without
> a vast array of negative consequences by requiring intermediaries to act as policeman.
>
> The idea of having online community policing was expressed. However an online
> community comprises a community of multiple and overlapping communities. These
> communities are a lot less tight knit and it is hard to identify whether one is a member
>
> of a community or not. Given the multiple layers of anonymity inherent
> on the internet afforded to all: offenders, infringers, policers and vigilantes
> any attempt at community policing online is fraught with many problems.****
>

> Ali noted that the principles of privacy and freedom of
> expression cuts both ways, and cautioned that the Internet is not a unique place where
> people can get away with things that they probably wouldn't in the 'real'
> world.****
>

> Barrack, unfortunately the
> CJ is not on the list but we would welcome him here.
>

> Rgds
>
> GG ****

Regards,

Mark Mwangi