[kictanet] Abuse of KICTANET forum by Biz.Daily journalist

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 16:48:45 EAT 2012

Hi Ory,

Unfortunately many in Kenya. Especially the media as well as Govt have yet
to be schooled on internet terminology. Many refer to KICTANET and other
mailing lists as a blog - and have little or no idea of the etiquette
issues surrounding the same.

The error in this case, in my view is that whoever decided to put that in
their publication ought to have sought your consent first of all and also
enquired as to attribution - do you want to have your personal email
published, do you want to have your full name, plus official work title or
should it be attributed to you in your personal capacity - do you want any
attribution at all or would you rather remain anonymous?

Our media folk still have a lot of work to do in terms of styling up - and
worst of all, this passed some editors desk and he gave consent without
first of all checking on whether all the prerequisites on attribution have
been fulfilled.

Pole sana,

Mblayo

  [image: logo]