[kictanet] KeBS to re-emburse fake phone owners

meshack emakunat memakunat at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 14:44:06 EAT 2012

The CCK and KEBS are trying to fill a hole they dug by digging another and using the soil to fill the first one. The idea of exonerating the KEBS from the whole fiasco is not right since they have a responsibility in this. the  idea keeps me asking "do i have to pay for the incompetence of the KEBS". Yes i support the idea of the switch off for the so called purposes/objective

	1. 2012 Terror attacks security threats
	2. Monitoring and Tracking
	3. Help authorities to track use and sale of phones
	4. Loss of revenue from Import Duties
	5. Fakes = Health Hazard
http://www.ihub.co.ke/blog/2012/10/phones-switch-off-how-it-was-done-why-and-what-next/comment-page-1
It is the way of implementing the switch off that sucks. I presume the cck assumed that every consumer was literate enough to know the whole *#06# thing when they bought the phones years ago or so. So i ask myself what about people  who cannot interpret technology; they only use it. besides the phones had an IMEI number at the bar code in the back of the phone for those who knew what it was / meant.As much as it is the responsibility of the consumer to know what is fake and what is not fake it WAS the responsibility of this two bodies to define FAKE.

I think the cck and kebs should come up with a way to compensate the victims of the mobile switch off just to define there responsibility that lead to the  1.4 million mobile switch off and apologize to the  user.

CCK doesn't  have to stand tall in the whole issue since it is the people of Kenya they serve and not the people of Kenya serving them, vis a vis. Kudos on the switch off idea but there is a glitch in the idea, what about the compensation part? what about the connectivity of the innocent Kenyans? (do we fix an error in an"account/transaction"by erasing it?)