[kictanet] KeBS to re-emburse fake phone owners

Steve Muchai smuchai at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 12:44:34 EAT 2012

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 3:11 PM, John Gitau <jgitau at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure I understand where KEBS failed. Unless the phones being
> switched off were actually certified by KEBS.

+1.
It could argued that operators should have never allowed invalid IMEIs
to register on their networks in the first place, but this goes full
circle, back to the CCK again - why the regulatory framework was not
in place to prevent it in the first place.

The basic features of the GSM core network could have been used to
block services to counterfeits from the onset, thus reducing the
burden on KEBs. That would have denied the counterfeits a foothold in
the market in the first place. Several birds dead, killed with one
regulatory stone.

Regards,
Steve